The Center for Accelerator Science and Education (CASE) will pursue cutting edge accelerator science and R&D, training of next generation accelerator scientists - graduate and post doctoral – through courses, laboratory and experiments on accelerators. Undergraduate opportunities will play a significant goal of attracting students to the graduate program through introduction to accelerator courses, accelerator laboratory work and summer research opportunities at BNL. The proposed educational program will start with a short term abbreviated educational program of undergraduate, graduate and R&D that will evolve over time.
The main goals of CASE are:
- To train scientists and engineers with the aim of advancing the field of accelerator science;
- To develop a unique program of educational outreach that will provide broad access to a research accelerator; and,
- To attract Federal and industrial funding for an expanding interdisciplinary research and education program that utilizes accelerators.
The development of CASE capitalizes on resources at both institutions:
- Brookhaven National Laboratory is the home for a large number of accelerators at Collider Accelerator Department (C-AD, BNL's CASE home, ): RHIC and its injection complex, Accelerator Test Facility, Coherent electron Cooling project; and NSLS II .
- Stony Brook University has a recently retired research accelerator – the Tandem Van de Graaff (TvDG) – whose control room has been renovated to become a modern Physics Teaching Laboratory (PTL) that serves graduate, undergraduate students as well as K-12 teachers and students.
- Dr. Vladimir Litvinenko, Director, Professor of Physics, Stony Brook University.
- Dr. Thomas K. Hemmick, Deputy Director for Education and Outreach, Distinguished Teaching Professor of Physics, Stony Brook University.
- Dr. Navid Vafaei-Najafabadi, Deputy Director for Research, Assistant Professor of Physics, Stony Brook University.
- Joseph Tuozzolo, Deputy Director for Engineering, Chief Mechanical Engineer, Collider-Accelerator Department, Brookhaven National Laboratory.
- Dr. Paul Grannis, Chair of Executive Council, Distinguished Professor of Physics, Stony Brook University.
- Dr. Abhay Deshpande, Executive Council Member, Professor of Physics, Stony Brook University.
- Dr. Laszlo Mihaly, Executive Council Member, Professor of Physics, Stony Brook University.
- Dr. James Glimm, Executive Council Member, Distinguished Professor, Dept. of Applied Mathematics and Statistics, Stony Brook University.
- Dr. Imin Kao, Executive Council Member, Professor, Associate Dean, College of Engineering and Applied Sciences, Stony Brook University.
- Dr. Silvia Verdu Andres, CASE seminars, Scientist, Collider-Accelerator Department, Brookhaven National Laboratory.
- Dr. Yichao Jing, CASE web administrator, Scientist, Collider-Accelerator Department, Brookhaven National Laboratory.
- Socoro Delquaglio, CASE Project administrator, Stony Brook University.
Advanced Accelerator Lab at ATF
- Find complete member list here.
CASE faculty are involved in many exciting projects. Please contact us for more information.